In the Moreton Bay Regional Council area, developing a dual occupancy is generally limited to the following four zones: Centre zone, Emerging Community zone, General Residential zone, and Township zone.


Centre Zone

Code assessable where in a mixed use building; AND in the Caboolture, Strathpine or district centre precinct.


Emerging Community Zone

Code assessable in the Transition Precinct, on a developed lot, with a road frontage less than 25m (Code Assessment)

Note: Road frontages of 25m or more change the level of assessment to Accepted Development.


General Residential Zone

Code assessable where:

  • in the Coastal communities OR Suburban neighbourhood precinct, AND on a lot with an area greater than 1,000m2
  • In the Next Generation Neighbourhood Precinct, on a lot with a road frontage of less than 25m. Note: Road frontages of 25m or more change the level of assessment to Accepted Development.


Township Zone

Code assessable where:

  • In the Centre precinct AND on a lot with a non-residential use.
  • In the Residential Precinct
    • on a lot with an area greater than 1,000m2, an primary frontage of 30m or more,
    • meets the example that achieves aspects of the performance outcome for building height,
    • within 800m of the Township zone – Centre precinct



Some additional information to get you started:


  • Garages and car ports must be no greater than 6m in width per street frontage.
  • A maximum crossover width of 4m, or 5m for a shared driveway.


If your property is located outside of these zones, or does not meet the above criteria, it is likely that a dual occupancy will trigger an impact assessable development application. Generally, Council will not support these types of applications unless well justified with the development being consistent with that existing in the area and community expectations.


As defined in the Moreton Bay Regional Planning Scheme, a dual occupancy is a premise containing two dwellings, each for a separate household, and consisting of:

  • A single lot, where neither dwelling is a secondary dwelling, or
  • Two lots sharing common property where one dwelling is located on each lot.

A duplex, is considered a dual occupancy within this definition, however a Secondary Dwelling is not considered a Dual Occupancy. Secondary dwellings are use in conjunction with, and subordinate to a Dwelling house.


If you require town planning assistance or a development application to be lodged with your local Council please send your property details and any plans to admin@upqld.com.au

2 thoughts on “Where can you build a dual occupancy in the Moreton Bay Region?
  1. […] homes are a great option if you’re looking at building a second dwelling and lots of our clients do this! Unfortunately, though, every council has different requirements […]

  2. […] of the most common council requirements for second dwellings or dual occupancy style homes is that they need to have no more than 100m2 of living area. So, with this in mind, we’ve curated […]

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.